Mako Mining (TSX.V: MKO) is a development/production company with a portfolio of assets. The company’s primary focus is bringing their 100% owned San Albino gold asset into production. San Albino is a high-grade gold project, located approximately 173 kilometers north of Managua, the nation’s capital, and approximately 15 kilometers southeast of the northern border of Nicaragua with Honduras.
Gold grades typically associated with high-cost underground mining are amenable to low-cost open pit mining at San Albino. The current 43-101 resource stands at:
Why is Mako Mining (TSX.V: MKO) so unique? Mako’s main focus with San Albino Gold Project is:
- Building a 500tpd mine; expected to be one of the highest-grade open pit mines globally
- Near mine exploration with the goal of doubling 2 production by 2022
- Regional exploration to prove that San Albino is part 3 of an orogenic gold district
Mako Mining (TSX.V: MKO) has been aggressively drilling on their district-scale land package, roughly 188 sq. Km hosting a 23Km orogenic gold belt. During 2019-20 exploration highlights on San Albino and Las Conchitas include:
- 40.17 g/t Au and 26.8 g/t Ag over 2.0 m (Las Conchitas, October 22, 2020)
- 22.26 g/t Au and 44.6 g/t Ag over 4.5 m (Las Conchitas, August 31, 2020)
- 21.61 g/t Au and 41.9 g/t Ag over 5.0 m (San Albino, July 20, 2020)
- 40.52 g/t Au and 67.3 g/t Ag over 4.3 m (Las Conchitas, June 22, 2020)
- 30.27 g/t Au and 31.2 g/t Ag over 5.5 m (San Albino, May 6, 2020)
- 84.64 g/t Au and 80.2 g/t Ag over 1.6 m (Las Conchitas, March 25, 2020)
- 59.48 g/t Au and 41.9 g/t Ag over 2.1 m (San Albino, October 17, 2019)
- 50.78 g/t Au and 13.0 g/t Ag over 5.1 m (San Albino, September 26, 2019)
- 60.72 g/t Au and 66.4 g/t Ag over 3.1 m (San Albino, September 4, 2019)
- 376.49 g/t Au and 103.0 g/t Ag over 1.0 m (Las Conchitas, May 6, 2019)
The company is run by a team of highly successful executives, and geological professionals:
- Experienced operating team that have been involved in the build of three gold mines in Latin America since 2011
- Same management and operating team that permitted, built and commissioned the La Trinidad mine in Sinaloa, Mexico in 2013-14
- Controlling shareholder agreed to backstop C$27 million rights offering (July 23, 2019), funded ~US$15 million unsecured term loan (February 21, 2020) and led C$28.4 million private placement (July 16, 2020) to fund upfront capex at San Albino and drilling at both San Albino and Las Conchitas
Akiba Leisman CEO
Previously, Akiba was Executive Chairman and Interim CEO of Marlin Gold Mining Ltd., leading the company through the spinout of Sailfish and the acquisition of Marlin by Golden Reign Resources Ltd. to form Mako Mining Corp. He also serves as the Chairman and a Director of Sailfish Royalties, a Director at Bonterra Resources Inc. and as a consultant at Wexford Capital LP. Prior to Wexford, he was a Senior Analyst at Red Kite Capital Management for the Mine Finance funds where he was responsible for senior secured investments on metal mining assets. Previously, he was an Associate at Standard Bank working in the Structured Commodity Products and Mine Finance groups. Akiba has an MBA from New York University, and a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University.
Jesse Munoz COO
Jesse Muñoz serves as Chief Operating Officers of Mako Mining Corp. and has over 30 years of experience working in the domestic and international mining sector. His successful career has included construction and start-up in both surface and underground mine facilities. He has a diverse background and has focused primarily on the processing side of operations. His bilingual capabilities have proven to be extremely valuable while working in various Latin American countries. He has experience in conventional milling, heap leaching, agglomeration, crushing, refining, and both carbon adsorption and Merrill-Crowe recovery systems. He also has experience in negotiating property acquisitions and developmental strategies in Latin American countries.
Millie Paredes CFO
Maria Milagros “Millie” Paredes serves as the CFO and Corporate Secretary of Mako Mining Corp. Millie has combined experience as a finance professional and a technical background in geology. Her extensive financial experience was developed through positions in the mining, technology and biotech industries. From 2010 to 2017, she was the CFO and President of Bellhaven Copper and Gold Inc. During this period Bellhaven announced its PEA, its partnership with IAMGOLD Corp., its joint venture with AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. and finally its acquisition by GoldMining Inc. Previous to her career in finance, Millie worked as a geologist in a variety of roles across North and South America including greenfields and brownfields exploration, mine geology, geological modeling, reserve calculation and development of feasibility studies. Previous employers during this period include BHP Minerals, BHP Tintaya and Compania Minera Antamina. She received a BSc in Geological Engineering from Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria Lima-Peru, a MSc degree in Geology from Iowa State University, and an MBA from Cornell University (New York) and is fluent in English and Spanish.
Cesar Gonzalez VP Corp Development
Previously, Cesar served as the VP Corporate Development and a Director of Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. through the construction and commissioning of the La Trinidad gold mine, the spinout of Sailfish Royalty Corp. and the acquisition of Marlin by Golden Reign Resources Ltd. to form Mako Mining Corp. He also serves as the VP Corporate Development of Mako, the Executive Chairman at Bonterra Resources Inc. and as a consultant at Wexford Capital LP. Previously, he worked at Lehman Brothers as an Associate in the Private Equity Group where he focused on investments in energy master limited partnerships. Cesar graduated from the University of Southern California, where he earned a B.S. in Business Administration.
Mako Mining’s (TSX.V: MKO) shareholders are some of the main institutional players in the Natural Resource space: Wexford Capital LP currently owns 51.8% - Wexford is a value-oriented multi-strategy investment firm that has been capturing risk-adjusted returns across public and private markets since its inception in 1994. Stephens Investment Management 4.4% - Stephens specializes in domestic equity investment management focused on small and mid-capitalization growth companies. We truly have a passion for discovering the next great growth story among the vast universe of small and mid-sized companies. Management and Directors currently own 8.3%, with the remaining 35.5% owned by other.